A Guide To Different Sizes Of Mattresses In The UK
Are you muddled by the difference between a small double and a standard double? Perhaps you just want a table of measurements to see which mattress can fit into your bedroom. Our guide has all the information you need to pick your perfect bed.
We give you the centimetres, explain who will benefit from the different bed sizes and the options that are available when none of them suits your tastes.
You can also look at the best beds that are currently available on the market.
Cot Beds For Kids
Cot beds for very young kids come in two basic mattress sizes – one for infants and one for toddlers. Newborns and infants will benefit from the smaller bed, which normally measures 60 x 120 x 10 cm. The depth of 10 cm is variable, depending on the brand but nearly all baby beds are firmer than those of adults to help support their growing bodies. Toddler beds usually measure 70 x 140 cm.
In case you need a new bed for your baby or toddler, we have reviewed the best brands and their top beds for Team Junior. We only picked the top cot mattresses, selecting them for quality, safety, and reputable brands to make sure your baby gets only the best bed. You can view some of the best below.
Please note that all prices were correct at the time of writing.
- The Twist Natural Cot Bed Mattress (£179) by The Little Green Sheep is a great choice if you want to use the same bed as your baby grows into a toddler. Measuring 70 cm x 140 cm x 10 cm, the bed can be flipped over depending on the child’s age. The one side is tufted with wool and is soft and supportive enough for infants. The other side holds a layer of natural latex memory foam and is perfect for toddlers.
- The Emma Cot Mattress (£159 And £179) by Emma comes in two sizes. The bed for infants measure 60 x 120 x 10 cm and the toddler mattress is 70 x 140 cm. The mattresses are made with memory foam and provide a safe, anti-bacterial, and supportive environment for little ones.
- The Cot Mattress (£149 And £169) by Eve Sleep is also available in two mattresses. Similar to the rest, babies can use the 120 x 60 cm bed and toddlers the 70 x 140 cm mattress. Both mattresses are hypoallergenic, waterproof, and designed to keep children at the right temperature all through the night.
The Scoop On Bunk Beds (AKA Small Single)
Bunk beds and the so-called “small single” mattress is the same thing. This size bed is perfect for a smaller bed frame. A few examples include the single bed bed frame in the guest room and those stacked bunk beds that kids are so fond of.
A lot of families use them because having two small single beds stacked in this way always saves a ton of room space – which is a good thing when children share a room.
A small single mattress measures 75 cm wide and 190 cm long.
The market for small single beds is big. If you want to spoil your kids or get a really stylish bunk bed frame for the guest room, you only need to do a bit of research to see how varied small single ranges are and how gorgeous a small single mattress and bed frame can go together. You even get a bunk bed frame that allows a small double size mattress at the bottom.
- The Harriet Bee Brewster Bunk Bed (£719.99) is a good choice if you still have a very young child. The bottom of the bed frame resembles a cot with safety barriers – and it’s very stylish too. The top bed also has safety bars for an older child. Each level can take a standard size small single mattress.
- The Bedford Single Bunk Bed (£319.99) is more suitable for older children. It can fit a small single size mattress on the top where there are safety barriers. The small single size bed at the bottom does not have barriers and can be used by older kids and adults.
The Standard Size Single Mattress
A single bed size is 90 cm x 190 cm. This size bed is suitable for one person. It can be used by a toddler, an older child or an adult. If you are looking for a new bed that will save space in a room or a home where space is limited, then the single mattress size could be one of the best beds to consider. Indeed, this is one of the most popular mattress sizes.
Are you looking for a single mattress with a great home trial and guarantee? We found two amazing single bed deals from elite brands.
- The Memory Foam Mattress (£324) by Nectar Sleep is a single mattress that is suitable for most sleeping positions and it also has cooling properties. The single bed is covered by a lifetime warranty and can be tested at home for a full year. The bed is also available in other mattress sizes.
- The Luxury Hybrid Mattress (£549) by DreamCloud is another single bed that comes with a lifetime guarantee and a 365-night home trial. This hybrid is also available in different bed sizes.
If this is the bed size that you are looking for, here’s good news. We already researched all the best single beds for quality and great deals.
The Small Double Mattress Size
There are two double mattress sizes to choose from. The small double size bed is 120 cm x 190 cm and can be a better choice under certain circumstances. The small double mattress size is great for a single person who wants a bigger bed than a single but not as large as a standard double size mattress. However, the mattress can also serve a couple when they need a space-saving bed.
Despite all its perks, the small double bed size is not made by all bed companies. This is one drawback with the small double. If you want a small double, it either limits you to stick to the brands who make them or to request a bespoke small double bed size from a manufacturer that builds custom beds. For more information about bespoke beds, see the special section at the end of this article.
The Standard Double Mattress Size
The standard double size mattress measures 135 cm by 190 cm. The standard double is a highly popular size bed. This is basically the reason why it is also the most available double mattress size of the two. In fact, it will be exceptionally odd for a brand not to have a standard double on its list of mattress sizes. Alright, while this gives you a smorgasbord of brand choices, who can benefit from choosing a standard double size mattress?
The standard double is best for couples and a medium-space to a large bedroom. There is also no reason why one person (who loves a lot of bed space) cannot enjoy this mattress size. In case you are shopping for this particular mattress size, here are a few of the best double beds.
- The Emma Original Mattress (£529) by Emma is an award-winning foam bed. Besides being available in double size, you can also get this popular bed in bigger and smaller mattress sizes. The bed is great for sleepers who want to keep cool at night or suffer from back pain.
- The Hybrid Luxe Mattress (£3,099) by Tempur is actually a collection of mattresses. The only difference between them is depth (you get a choice of 3 depths). Otherwise, these mattresses all offer the same incredible support, luxury, and quality sleep.
- The Premium Hybrid Mattress (£978) by Eve Sleep is a bed with 7 layers of luxury foam and pocket coils. The bed is also easy to maintain, looks stylish, and actively removes heat during hotter nights. This bed also offers great back support and space for a couple.
Are these your favourite size mattresses? Then have a look at the best double mattresses that are available on the bed market today. As always, we handpicked the winners for quality, great reviews, and reputable brands.
The Standard King Size Bed
The standard king size bed is another popular mattress size that is available from most manufacturers. The standard king size bed measures 150 cm x 200 cm. A king-size bed is suitable for two people but also for taller individuals who need a little extra space for their legs. King size beds also need a room with lots of space to avoid a cramped-up bedroom.
These days, a king-size bed is a thing of luxury. As a bonus, bed brands are also making king size mattresses for people who need orthopaedic beds and beds for painful conditions like arthritis or bad backs. Some king size beds also come in split tensions for couples who like different support levels when they go to bed.In other words, while hubby sleeps on his extra-firm side, his wife can snuggle against her medium-firm side of the bed.
If king size mattresses are your thing, we’ve got you covered. We compiled the best king size beds from the top brands. Here are some of the best mattresses if you want a quick view.
- The Elite Mattress (£1,199) by Brook And Wilde is a plush mattress. How plush? The bed has 8 layers of foam and pocket springs. If that is not luxurious enough, the space of the mattress size is another perk for couples. The mattress contains a special layer for spinal support, eliminates motion transfer, and is designed to last for a long time.
- The Emma Original Mattress (£609) by Emma is a gem. If you like award-winning mattresses, then how about this? This bed is the UK’s most-awarded and also the best-selling mattress. It is available in several mattress sizes and consists of quality foam layers. The mattress offers great pressure relief, no motion transfer, and also combats humidity.
- The Fresh Deluxe Foam Mattress (£359.99) by Dormeo is a good choice for those who are looking for a soft-medium king mattress size. The bed fights odours and is also anti-bacterial. The mattress is also fantastic if you are currently shopping for king beds that are hypoallergenic, well-ventilated, and an easy mattress to maintain.
The Super King Size Mattress
Super-king size mattresses measure 180 x 200 cm. This mattress size is perfect for two people who value their sleeping space and of course, this is one of the biggest mattress sizes so you are going to need enough physical space in the room as well. As you can imagine, the super king-size mattress is popular with those who love a luxury bed but not all brands make them. The good news is that some of the top bed companies do offer super king bed sizes that are roughly 180 x 200 cm. This is often the biggest mattress size that a brand offers – although as we will soon see, there is one more bed size that is somewhat larger.
If you are on the lookout for a super king size mattress, we have a short list of the top beds below.
- The Eco Comfort Pocket 1200 Mattress (£669) by Silentnight comes in several bed sizes but the brand offers it specifically as a super king mattress for those who love extra bed space. Measuring 180 x 200 cm, the mattress has a depth of 28 cm and uses materials from sustainable sources. The mattress is also supportive and cooling.
- The Lux Mattress (£949) by Brook and Wilde also comes in different bed sizes and the choice of ordering your mattress as “extra firm” which is not something all beds offer as a matter of course. The super king also measures 180 x 200 cm, offering plenty of space for couples who like a medium-firm mattress. Benefits of this mattress include no motion transfer, cooling foam, and specialist support for the shoulders and spine.
- The super king 5G Mattress (£658) by Ergoflex also measures 180 x 200 cm and 5 other mattress sizes if you would like something smaller. The memory foam mattress is easy to keep clean and a good choice for people who need a hypoallergenic and orthopaedic bed. Indeed, the super king bed size provides comfort against back pain, arthritis, circulation problems, and fibromyalgia.
The Emperor Mattress Size
Do you want even more space than what the king and super king bed sizes can offer you? Then the best mattress size for you is an Emperor bed. Their mattress size is either 200 x 200 cm or 215 x 215 cm. For most mattress brands, this is as big as things get. The Emperor mattress size is perfect for family beds where the kids snuggle in with the parents. It is also a luxurious option for couples who want their own space. The one drawback with the Emperor mattress size is that you need a really big room to accommodate the size of this bed.
You can peek at our review of the best Emperor beds. Here is a preview if you do not want to read the entire thing.
- The Otty Hybrid Mattress (£594.99) by Otty is an award-winning bed. The sumptuous Emperor size mattress is a hybrid bed that is also available in king size and super king size bed sizes. The mattress has six layers with benefits such as regulating body temperature, soothing pressure points and offers a medium-firm feel. The mattress size is also 200 x 200 x 25 cm.
- The Axminster Supreme Mattress (£4,879.20) by Vispring And John Lewis is a good choice if you love mattresses with natural materials. It contains wool, cashmere, and silk. The upholstery is also made from the finest natural fibres. This is also a naturally hygienic, absorbent, and flame-retardant mattress. The size also makes this mattress a luxury addition to the bedroom.
- The Synergy 2000 Emperor Pocket Sprung Mattress (£1,215) by Robinsons is a great choice if you are shopping for an Emperor size mattress that is graded as “firm.” Such beds can help with certain cases of back pain and are one of the mattress tensions that is best for heavier individuals. Besides a great size and firmness, this mattress also measures 26 cm deep. Handmade for quality, the mattress aligns the spine, supports the body, regulates temperature, banishes dust, and is also one of the most plush-feeling Emperor mattresses.
Zip And Link Bed Sizes
Zip and link mattresses are versatile. They basically offer you two bed sizes. Depending on the pair of single beds that are used as zip and link mattresses, you can use them separately as two small single size or standard single beds. But if you zip the mattresses together, you can either wind up with a king mattress size (150 x 200 cm), a super king mattress size (180 x 200 cm) or even an Emperor bed (200 x 200 cm or 215 x 215 cm).
You can pour yourself a cup of tea and read our review of the best zip and link beds or look at a few of the top mattress offers below.
- The Hotel Classic Mattress (£629) by Sleepeezee is a king-size mattress. When separated, you can use it as two single size beds. It has natural fillings like wool and cotton. The bed also has pocket coils for no motion transfer, great body support, and breathability. The mattress also measures 26 cm deep.
- The Thornton British Wool Mattress (£2,050) by Harrison Spinks is a super king-size mattress. Besides being one of the biggest sizes available, this zip and link mattress also does not need to be turned over. Considering its size, that is a huge perk. This mattress also has several tensions (gentle, medium, firm, and extra firm). You can order a split tension mattress if you and your partner do not enjoy the same firmness.
- The Wensleydale Wool Zip Link Mattress (£2,599) by John Lewis uses to single sizes to zip together a plush super king-size bed. The mattress has a lovely appearance, medium feel, and fully recyclable. The natural materials in this bed also make it naturally hypoallergenic, supportive, hygienic, and breathable. The super king-size bed also has about 16,000 pocket coils for ultimate comfort.
Custom Made Mattress Sizes
When all else fails or you want a specific size that suits your needs, you can always look at bespoke sizes. Many brands will make a bed according to your measurements or offer specific sizes like a king, super king, or Emperor beds. Besides bespoke sizes, you can usually also pick things like what kind of fillings you would like, the colours of your fabrics, and also finishes like a quilted surface, and split tensions for a larger size like a double or king-size bed. You can really have fun with a bespoke bed.
Which Mattress Size Is Best For You?
At the end of the day, size is important. A bed that is too small can make you too uncomfortable to sleep. You can never go wrong with picking a large size like a double or king but often, this is not feasible when there are financial or space constraints in the home. But here is a short rundown of the best size for various sleepers.
- A cot mattress is a right size for newborns and infants.
- A large cot mattress is perfect for toddlers.
- A bunk bed is a right size for older children and adult guests.
- A single size is for one person (an older child, teenager, or adult).
- A small double can be used by one person or a couple where space is limited.
- A standard double can be used by one person or a couple.
- A king size mattress is great for two people with a large room.
- A super king is perfect for a couple who enjoys more space when they sleep.
- An Emperor mattress is suitable for family beds or those who want the ultimate bed.
- A zip and link mattress is best for homes where two singles are often needed (like when the kids come for a visit from college). Maybe your parents come for a visit, then you can link the beds together.
- A bespoke bed is often the ultimate luxury choice for many. You get to choose the size (or available sizes), materials, colours, and a lot more to create your dream sleeping environment.